If you have spider or varicose veins, you must see a doctor soon to discuss possible treatments. Varicose veins can twist, bulge, and cause pain, while spider veins can affect the look of your skin. Treatment options for vein conditions include laser therapy and surgery, although the first line of treatment is usually sclerotherapy. Before going for sclerotherapy boise, here are some advantages worth knowing about.
- Sclerotherapy is minimally invasive: Your doctor will use a fine needle containing a foamy solution, which is injected into the targeted veins. This saline solution causes these veins to collapse. The procedure is safer and simpler than surgery and has remained a top choice for varicose and spider veins since the 1930s.
- Sclerotherapy doesn’t require anesthesia: There is no need for local anesthesia before a sclerotherapy session. You may experience mild discomfort when the solution gets inside the veins, but this is usually bearable and doesn’t require additional medications.
- Sclerotherapy is highly effective: Almost 90% of patients with varicose and spider veins respond to sclerotherapy. It makes the treatment a safe and effective choice for cases. You can expect evident results immediately after the first session, although the outcome may take a few weeks.
- Sclerotherapy requires no downtime: Another significant advantage of sclerotherapy is the recovery period. There is no need to stop your routine activities, and you can expect to drive back home after a session. One appointment for sclerotherapy lasts for less than an hour.
- Sclerotherapy has minimal side effects: Very rarely do patients have concerns like lumpy veins or skin conditions after sclerotherapy. Swelling, bruising, and discomfort at the injection sites usually get better within a matter of days. Compared to surgery, this is a better choice for many people.
- Sclerotherapy injections are precise: Your doctor will rely on ultrasound to find the right veins to inject, and therefore, the treatment is highly accurate. Even when the vein is not always visible through the skin, your doctor can find it easily.
If you are wondering whether sclerotherapy is the right choice for your vein conditions, check with a doctor. You may need to stop a few medications before the session and shouldn’t shave the targeted areas. Also, it is best to discuss the need for compression stockings, which are typically required to ensure pressure on the treated veins. You must also avoid sun exposure for at least two weeks after sclerotherapy.